Learn to Sew an 18 inch Doll Skirt! | Learn to Sew Skirts for American Girl Dolls | Free Doll Skirt Pattern

Growing up I played for hours with my American Girl Dolls! I have Molly, Kaya, and Elizabeth, and even today I will look through their clothes and accessories. Around the time I was playing with my American Girl dolls, I was starting to learn to sew and I felt the best way to do that was to sew doll clothes! I think my mom appreciated this as the clothes and accessories for the dolls are expensive. In this week's post, I decided that I would design my own pattern and show you how to sew a skirt for an American Girl Doll! To make this more fun, this will be part of a miniseries to show you how to make a skirt, shirt, dress, and some accessories! Let's make a skirt!

Video Instructions 


Items Needed:

  • Two pieces of fabric for the skirt pattern (See below)
  • One piece of 11 inch elastic
  • Thread
  • Pins
  • Scissors
  • Iron
  • Ironing Board
  • Sewing Machine
Step 1: Cut out fabric so you have two pieces of fabric and one piece of elastic.
Step 2: Pin and sew a hem in the bottom of each skirt piece. The hem should be about a quarter of an inch.
Step 3: Place right sides together of the skirt pieces and pin both sides. Sew the sides up the skirt.
Step 4: Iron the seams open for the side of the skirt.

Step 5: Fold down the top of the skirt 1/2 an inch and pin. Sew a seam across the loop, so there is now a pocket for the elastic. You will leave an inch of the fabric not sewn so you can add the elastic.
Step 6: Using a safety pin, thread the elastic through the loop you just created. Be sure to hold the other end of the elastic. Pin the elastic ends together once it is threaded through.
Step 7: Sew the elastic ends, so it is connected. Use the sewing machine to close up the hole in the elastic pocket. 
Step 8: Flip your skirt the right side out!

Skirt Pattern



Check out our FacebookInstagram, and Etsy Shop for more ideas and fun products!

Comments

Popular Posts